Year in and year out, bathroom and kitchen makeovers are the most popular remodeling projects, with homeowners updating their look and upgrading the rooms with newer and better features. According to the National Association of Home Builders, most of those homeowners use professional help, whether it’s a design-build firm like ours, an interior designer, or both.
Better appliances, great flooring, and beautiful counters are being used to take kitchens from their dated traditional style to something more current, while large showers and spa-like fixtures are two of today’s biggest trends in bathroom design.
If you’re looking to shake things up design-wise in the kitchen or bath, there are plenty of available option to choose from.
Bathroom and Kitchen Remodeling Trends
One of the biggest changes in bathrooms can be found in tub and shower options. Freestanding tubs and curbless showers, which incorporate aging-in-place design, are replacing the old combo units, adding more comfort, elegance, and appeal to the room. Heated tile floors and towel warmers can also add a more luxurious feel to your bathroom space.
Some current bathroom trends expected to stand the test of time include:
- Mediterranean-Inspired Design. Old-world style tiles that invoke countries like Portugal and Spain are an elegant look that are perfectly complemented by modern metallic faucets. They add a rich look and you don’t need to use a lot to make a beautiful statement – try using them as an accent in the shower or tub area.
- Ease of Use. Curbless showers are easy to clean and make a bathroom look bigger. Floating vanities are popular with homeowners embracing universal design, because their height can be customized. They also add a stylish look to the room.
- Smart Storage. A design trend with incredible staying power in both bathrooms and kitchens? White cabinets that keep a room well-organized and uncluttered. When built-in cabinets aren’t an option, many homeowners incorporate an antique or vintage-look piece of furniture. Open shelving has always been a popular trend that is also practical.
Kitchen Remodeling in Fairfax County
A kitchen remodel is a huge commitment and investment, making it vital to make smart choices that will last. Here are a few trends we believe have staying power.
- White Cabinetry. Just like in bathrooms, you won’t go wrong by choosing white cabinets. Nearly 70% of NKBA members say that white cabinets are the top choice for their clients. They work great with stainless or matte black appliances and easily blend into transitional or contemporary styles.·
- Smaller Appliances. Micro living is big for millennials and retirees. Typical appliance choices for those wanting to scale down are two-burner cooktops, microwave/convection oven combos, 18” dishwashers, and 60” refrigerator.
- LED Lighting. LED ribbons are showing up all over the kitchen: along toe kicks, on the inside of cabinets, concealed in crown molding, and more. Homeowners love that they come in a variety of colors, offer a creative way to use lighting, and emit virtually no heat. They’re also incredibly energy efficient, lasting five times longer than CFLs.
One design element that continues to gain in popularity: deep drawer organizers that keep everything neat and tidy. Drawers are being customized with:
- Slots that hold plates and store knives.
- Stackable trays to keep utensils separated.
- Removable containers that let you easily reorganize your drawers.
Ready to Remodel Your Home’s Kitchen or Bath?
When remodeling your Fairfax County home’s kitchen or bathroom, it’s a good idea to be careful about “trendy” choices. Both remodels represent a substantial investment and you don’t want either to be out-of-sync in a few years. Be sure to consider any trend in terms of the value it will bring to your family’s lifestyle and your home.
If you’re ready to explore more kitchen and bathroom design ideas for your Fairfax County home, why not schedule an in-home consultation with us today? We look forward to meeting you!