There’s nothing quite as strenuous or as rewarding as a home improvement project. At times, you may feel like you’re on a never-ending emotional rollercoaster and working off a to-do list as long as your arm. But when you see the final result, we guarantee that every minute spent stressing will seem worthwhile.
Remodeling a home looks and feels different for everyone, but you may be wondering about what to expect during the several weeks—or months—during which your home turns into a construction zone.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Home remodeling isn’t ever a walk in the park. If you’re new to home improvement, you might be expecting an easy-breezy process, not unlike an HGTV home makeover. Sure, things may be a little messy at first, but fast-forward a few minutes and voila! Everything turns out just as planned, and the finished product looks pretty stellar.
In reality (not reality TV), the period between the messy start and the glossy finish is not as simple or as glamorous as television leads you to believe. It can be noisy, dirty, frustrating, and it rarely goes according to plan.
The process can be incredibly stressful if you’re the type to plan every aspect of your renovation down to the last detail. Home renovations, regardless of how good of a plan you start with, often deviate. It helps to expect the unexpected and to come to terms with the fact that there will be surprises and setbacks along the way.
But even though the road has its share of bumps, it will all be worth it when you finally arrive at the end. Besides, nothing worth having or doing comes without pain and effort.
What Am I Feeling Now?
During your home reno, expect to experience the full gamut of emotions. It’s a whirlwind! Here’s an example of emotions in a typical remodeling journey:
- We’re doing it. We’re actually doing it!
- First thing’s first—find a contractor.
- I looked online, there’s about… uh, 50 contractors in my area.
- This is complicated.
- Okay, we finally found the right team. Here we go!
- This is so exciting!
- Ooh, I love that. Yes, perfect. PERFECT.
- Our contractor is a genius; I couldn’t have planned it better myself.
- I’m sorry, the hardwood flooring costs how much?
- Well… invest now, save later. Right?
- I can’t wait until we finally start breaking ground.
- When is demolition day? Can I smash something??
- Let the construction commence!
- Wait, who are all these people?
- Ah, that’s pretty noisy… but they’ll be done that part soon, right?
- A fine layer of dust covers everything I own.
- Oh my gosh, I thought this would be done days ago!
- Where are the materials we wanted? What? Backordered?!
- This looks like a total wreck. There’s no way it will come out the way we planned.
- Why did we start this? When will it be over?
- Okay, just two more weeks, and we’ll be in the clear.
- Delays? Nooooooooooo!
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint. A marathon, not a sprint. A marathon…
- Wait, I can actually see it coming together.
- Are we… almost finished?
- This is exactly what I was envisioning when I made my Pinterest board.
- Please let the inspector sign off on this, oh please.
- Finally! Finallyyyyyyyy!
- I love it.
- Totally worth it.
- So when are we redoing the kitchen?
Of course, this is just a lighthearted glimpse into what life can be like during a home remodel. Everyone’s experience is different, and of course, your outcome will vary depending on the team that you surround yourself with.
The Right Team
Having a good team on board for your home remodel is critical to the success of your project. So how do you recognize the right company for you? The right company is one that takes your home improvement as seriously as you do. It’s a team that is passionate, experienced, and knowledgeable about what they do, one that shares your vision for what your home can look like.
That’s why Foley Companies is the right choice for your Northern Virginia remodel. Foley is a family-owned and operated business with more than four decades of experience and expertise. From design development to finishes and fabrication, Foley is your one-stop-shop for all things home improvement.
Our unique process is integral to achieving results that you and your family will cherish for years to come. For a renovation that will not only change your home but will also change your life, Foley Companies is ready to assist. Let us bring your vision to life—we promise you’ll love the results. Reach out today, and let’s talk transformation!