Picking the perfect neighborhood to raise a family is always a challenge – but if you’re relocating to Fairfax County, you’ll have an easier time than most. That’s because it’s full of wonderful, family-friendly neighborhoods to choose from. It may be a large area, with over a million residents, but its communities are close-knit, friendly, and fun-loving. A family-oriented region where your children will have access to great schools, parks, libraries, and recreational activities.
Northern Virginia residents love spending times outdoors. There’s biking, hiking, water sports, and more. In the summer, two of the most popular activities are the Fairfax County outdoor movies series and picking up fresh produce at the various farmers’ markets. Here’s a rundown on where you can enjoy both this summer.
Fairfax County Outdoor Movies
Fairfax County families looking to enjoy both fresh air and great free entertainment are in luck. Forget being cooped up in the multiplex – outdoor movie season is in full swing and there’s something for everyone. Family classics, noir, romance, action, comedy, sci-fi, or animation, these unique locations are sure to please all types of film buffs. So grab your lawn chairs, blankets, and popcorn and head out for a fun night of film under the stars. Be sure to check the websites for current news and updates.
- On the third Saturday of each month, The Mount Vernon Rec Center Fields hosts Cinema Del Rey. Shows begin at dusk but get there by 7pm to enjoy all the fun.
- Saturdays, it’s Penrose Square, and Thursdays, it’s Arlington Mill. From June to September you can take your own chair to see some of your favorite films at the Columbia Pike Movie Nights. Seating is first-come, first-served.
- Pack a picnic and head over to Lake Anne Plaza (Waterfront) for their lakeside summer movie season that takes place on the second and fourth Fridays in July and August.
- It’s free movies every other Wednesday at Leesburg Movies Under the Stars. You can preorder food and popcorn from one of the Village restaurants and they’ll bring it right to your blanket.
You can also see some great flix at the Mosaic District Films in the Park, the National Harbor Movies on the Potomac, The Rossyln Outdoor Film Festival with its special family nights, and the South Riding Movie Night. And if you want to make the summer movie magic last into September, check out the City of Falls Church Sunset Cinema series.
Fairfax County Farmers Markets
Fill your bags with perfect home-grown ingredients from Fairfax County farmers’ markets. From vine-ripe veggies to freshly-picked fruits, there’s a wealth of delicious foods and specialty items to choose from. Here are some favorites, listed by the day of the week. Some have craft areas, clinics, and various other family activities, so be sure to click on the links to learn more.
- Wednesdays: McCutcheon/Mount Vernon at the Sherwood Library; Oak Marr Recreation Center on Jermantown Road; Reston Smart Markets Farmers Market at Reston Station Plaza; and Wakefield Park on Braddock Road.
- Thursdays: Annandale, Mason District Park on Columbia Pike; Chantilly Smart Markets; Herndon in Old Town Herndon; and Fairfax County Government Center.
- Fridays: Kingstowne and McLean in Lewinsville Park.
- Saturdays: Burke in the VRE parking Lot; Fairfax Community Farmers Market on West and Main; Falls Church Farmers Market in the City Hall Parking Lot; Great Falls Farmers Market at the Village Center. Also, Oakton Smart Markets located on Hunter Mill Road; Reston at the Lake Anne Village Center; Springfield Smart Markets Farmer’s Market; and the Vienna Farmer’s Market.
- Sundays: The Community Farmers Market behind the Wells Fargo; Lorton in the VRE parking lot; Mosaic Central Farm Market; and Tysons Smart Markets Farmer Markets.
The greatest places to live are the ones where the communities thrive. If you’re relocating to Fairfax County and looking to buy or build a custom home, we’d love to meet you. At Foley, we believe Fairfax County is one of the most beautiful places to live and raise a family. Schedule a consultation with us today to learn more, and we think you’ll soon agree!